With just one day to go to one of London’s biggest sporting events this weekend a final clarion call for Londoners to come to the Barking BikeFest was issued today (20 May), by Deputy Leader of Barking and Dagenham Council, Cllr Saima Ashraf.
The event will feature the London leg of ITV 4’s Tour Series of professional racing and a wider celebration of cycling and sustainability with community racing, live musical entertainment and plenty of fun activities for all the family,
Cllr Ashraf, said: “ I am really looking forward to this spectacular event and celebration of cycling, sustainability and green travel. The weather forecast looks to be fine so hopefully it will be a fabulous fun day out for all the family.”
Cllr Ashraf was joined top cyclist Harrison Hunter who will be racing on Saturday in the Tour Series.
Mick Bennett, Tour Series race director, said: “This family-friendly, free-to-attend festival is going to unforgettable, topped off with the sight of seeing Britain’s fastest men and women battling it out to take Tour Series glory. Don’t miss it!”
And for the first time ever, the Tour Series will be giving equal billing to women’s and men’s races.
To celebrate this the winner of the women’s race with the Mary Wollstonecraft Cup – honouring the pioneering feminist who once lived in the borough.
Cllr Ashraf added: “It’s make sense that the borough will host the first ever gender equal cycling race. This borough has always led from the front in fighting for justice and fairness from the suffragettes to the Ford women strikers.”
Pat Hayes, Managing Director of Be First, said: “The Barking BikeFest will be a unique event which will celebrate cycling and sustainability. I am sure it will be a great day out for Londoners in what will hopefully be a glorious late spring day.”
The Barking BikeFest will run from 11am to 9pm around the historic Abbey Green on Saturday 21 May and will also include:
• Community racing for all ages and abilities – there is still time to sign up. Anyone interested should go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bikefest-community-races-registration-314421783017. The races are sponsored by Willmott Dixon and Weston Homes
• Marvellous music from Kasai Masai, whose lead singer has played at Glastonbury, Roberto Pla, who has performed with the like of Kate Bush, and Redonizm
• Kid’s Zone, there will be plenty for them to do, with entertainment from Kid’s People, arts and crafts
• Electric Avenue – showcasing green technology including e-bikes, electric cars and Bin Bot – a giant green robot!
• BMX and mountain bike display team from the daredevils of Fusion Extreme who will be wowing the crowd with their stunts
• Inflatable goal for penalty takers laid on by the community team from Dagenham and Redbridge FC
Further details are available from https://yourcall.befirst.london/the-barking-bikefest