It’s just days away from what will be one of London’s biggest sporting events this weekend when professional cyclists on ITV 4’s Tour Series come to Barking on Saturday, 21 May.
It’s been three years since the series last visited the capital and as part the day, Be First and Barking and Dagenham Council will be hosting the Barking BikeFest.
Sponsored by Amazon Key the event will be a wider celebration of cycling and sustainability.
And for the first time ever, the Tour Series will be giving equal billing to women’s and men’s races.
To celebrate this Cllr Darren Rodwell, Leader of Barking and Dagenham Council will be presenting the winner of the women’s race with the Mary Wollstonecraft Cup – honouring the pioneering feminist who once lived in the borough.
Cllr Darren Rodwell said: “It’s great such a top sporting event is coming to Barking and hopefully visitors and local people will be able to enjoy a fabulous festival of fun and entertainment in the stunning, historic setting of Abbey Green. I am especially proud to be presenting the Mary Wollstonecraft Cup – it’s apt as this borough has always led from the front in fighting for justice and fairness from the suffragettes to the Ford women strikers.”
Mick Bennett, Tour Series race director, said: “The countdown to the Barking BikeFest is now well and truly on! This family-friendly, free-to-attend festival is going to unforgettable, topped off with the sight of seeing Britain’s fastest men and women battling it out to take Tour Series glory. Don’t miss it!”
Pat Hayes, Managing Director of Be First, said: “The Barking BikeFest will be a unique event which will celebrate cycling and sustainability. I am sure it will be a great day out for Londoners in what will hopefully be a glorious late spring day.”
The Barking BikeFest will run from 11am to 9pm around the historic Abbey Green on Saturday 21 May and will also include:
• Community racing for all ages and abilities – there is still time to sign up. Anyone interested should go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bikefest-community-races-registration-314421783017. The races are sponsored by Willmott Dixon and Weston Homes
• Marvellous music from Kasai Masai, whose lead singer has played at Glastonbury, Roberto Pla, who has performed with the like of Kate Bush, and Redonizm
• Kid’s Zone, there will be plenty for them to do, with entertainment from Kid’s People, arts and crafts
• Electric Avenue – showcasing green technology including e-bikes, electric cars and Bin Bot – a giant green robot!
• BMX and mountain bike display team from the daredevils of Fusion Extreme who will be wowing the crowd with their stunts
• Inflatable goal for penalty takers laid on by the community team from Dagenham and Redbridge FC
Further details are available here