We are looking to recruit a Part 2 or newly qualified architect. This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious and growing team that is a central part of a pioneering urban regeneration company. You will be working on a mix of projects ranging from our small sites programme to large estate regeneration projects and town centre mixed-use developments.
Our design team brings architecture, urban design, landscape architecture and sustainability expertise to all our projects to deliver sustainable and bold design that brings joy to residents of the borough. The team is embedded within Be First and works across planning, design and project guardianship.
We are looking for exceptional candidates with a passion for public sector housing delivery. The role will involve working on strategic visions, masterplans and feasibility studies within the borough, ensuring high quality and ambitious proposals are embedded into our projects. As well as leading and contributing to early stage design work, the responsibilities will include acting as client for Be First projects. This will involve support senior members of the design team with writing project briefs, attending design team meetings, reviewing detailed drawing packages and guarding quality on site. Projects range from small sites to large area masterplans and visions.
Part of the role will include working with the planning team on design related policy and design codes as well as reviewing planning applications made in the borough.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We encourage applications from groups who are under-represented within the architecture profession, including women, disabled people, and people from black, asian and minority ethnic backgrounds.
Closing DateMarch 5, 2021
The overall purpose of the role is to work within our design team to ensure high quality architecture, urban design and placemaking across Be First’s programme that meets the organisation’s design guidelines and cost parameters. The role will be based at Maritime House in Barking (though in the short term Be First remains largely working from home) and will involve:
- advocate the design team’s ambitions to ensure excellent design standards and outcomes
- support in the development of responsive urban design and architectural concept designs for a range of sites in Barking and Dagenham that meet Be First’s design and development ambitions
- work alongside project leads on urban design, masterplanning and architectural projects that include site option appraisals and feasibility studies
- gain experience in monitoring technical compliance across Be First’s new build programme
- contribute to the review of third party planning applications to ensure they meet the borough’s design ambition and deliver high quality design outcomes
- get involved in the development of design led planning policies, design codes and design guidance
- support project leads to deliver research on housing design standards, Modern Methods of Construction, sustainability and achieving zero carbon design
- produce graphics, presentations and visual material across a number projects.
- be a Part 2 or newly qualified architect
- have ARB membership
- enjoy working both in a team environment and alone
- be keen to learn and take ownership for tasks
- have strong design skills and be comfortable visualising, illustrating and presenting ideas
- enjoy solving problems
- have excellent attention to detail
- have an interest in construction and materiality
- have a passion for urban design, architecture and sustainability
- demonstrate a clear passion for public sector led housing delivery and placemaking
- have a passion for high quality and sustainable design
- have good freehand sketching and excellent graphics skills, and
- good communication, including fluent spoken and written English.
Proficiency in autocad, Sketchup and Adobe Creative Suite, Revit is advantageous.
To apply for the position, please email a covering letter, CV, portfolio and completed diversity and inclusion form to firstname.lastname@example.org stating 'Architect' in the subject email@example.com