Job SummaryWe’re looking to appoint an enthusiastic and highly motivated individual to join our progressive and customer focused Development Management Team. Your duties will include the following:
- To manage the day-to-day operation of the Development Management Team (core business) to ensure that the various specified functions and associated work are performed effectively to service objectives and within budget, and to line manage technical support services.
- To contribute as a member of wider management team responsible for core business Development services.
- To participate in the development of a strategic approach to planning issues and associated service activity. To lead in a specialised field of work in the formulation of proposals for prioritising and resourcing action plans and work programmes for implementation.
- To remain fully aware of legislative changes and of professional, managerial and technical developments within the sphere of responsibility of the Team and the wide area of disciplines covering the planning field.
- To provide any advice in relation to Development Management.
- To manage the ability of the Teams to respond to changes in central government and Council policies and priorities and to take appropriate action, and to ensure all staff are aware of the current priorities, performance criteria and programmes of work.
- To report to the Deputy Chief Planning Director on all appropriate matters concerning the activities, duties, responsibilities and performance of the Team.
- To identify the training needs of staff and develop, introduce and contribute to co-ordinated training programmes for all staff to ensure they are adequately resourced to carry out their roles. Participate in the recruitment and selection of staff.
- To lead as an expert and act on behalf of the Be First in matters concerning legal action and related proceedings. This will include acting as expert witness, and managing service complaints, Ombudsman enquiries and requirements under freedom of information and other legislation.
- To prepare and present written or oral reports and briefings to the Lead Member, Cabinet, Planning Committees, Members’ Forum and other bodies and to attend meetings with Members and others as necessary.
- To ensure that adequate records and databases are maintained, including statutory registers, to enable the efficient operation of the work of the Team and the timely production of managerial information and performance, and to contribute to the development and improvements of systems of work to ensure continuous business improvement.
- To use discretion and professional judgement to deliver a pragmatic and effective approach to service delivery, and to conflict and problem resolution.
- To represent Be First when dealing with partners, developers, and other interested parties to ensure a coherent and professional approach to service delivery.
- To develop and maintain close links with all relevant partners, stakeholders and bodies both within LBBD and outside. The postholder will represent Be First at meetings, working parties, and inter-agency gatherings at local, regional and national level.
- To work in support of the Deputy Chief Planning Director as required.
Job Salaryup to £60,000
Closing DateMarch 30, 2020
Please email an up-to-date CV with a covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) setting out why you are interested in the role and why you believe yourself to be qualified to the following address:James.Coulstock@befirst.london