We are looking to recruit a Senior Sustainability Manager into the Be First Design team. This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious team that is part of a pioneering urban regeneration company. You will be working on a mix of projects ranging from our small sites programme to large estate regeneration projects and town centre mixed-use developments.
The design team at Be First works across strategy, design and guardianship, delivering bold and sustainable design that brings joy to the residents of the borough.
In 2020 LBBD declared a climate emergency and an ambition to be zero carbon by 2030 and to become the green capital of the capital. The Senior Sustainability Manager will embed the Council’s sustainability aims across Be First’s planning, development and construction teams. A key role of the position is to commission and implement a zero carbon roadmap that covers the Be First new build programme.
The successful candidate will be commercially minded and able to balance financial constraints with the ambitions for sustainable design. A key requirement is the ability to apply the ambitions across a large housing programme and third party developers.
The role will involve commissioning and implementing a zero carbon strategy, attending design team meetings for Be First projects, working with our contractor partners to deliver sustainability objectives, working with various Council departments on energy and technical specification, supporting the formation of planning policy and attending pre-application meetings on third party applicants.
Job SalaryCompetitive salary plus company benefits including pension and eligibility for Performance Related Bonus
Closing DateDecember 4, 2020
Be First is a pioneering URBAN REGENERATION COMPANY wholly owned by, but operating independently from, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Council. Our mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s best investment and development opportunity.
We are a property developer, including commercial agency, construction and planning consultancy, and undertake statutory planning and building control services on behalf of the Council. We utilise council and commercial investment resources to acquire sites, secure planning permission and built out new residential and commercial developments. We deliver a socially-responsible model of urban regeneration that creates new homes and jobs for Barking and Dagenham’s current and future communities, ensuring that no-one is left behind.
This is an important position within Be First’s Design Team reporting into and working closely with the Head of Design and company Directors. You will play a central role in developing Be First’s sustainable design strategy and working across Planning, Development and Construction teams to implement it.
In 2020 LBBD declared a climate emergency and an ambition to be zero carbon by 2030 and the green capital of the capital. The Senior Sustainability Manager will embed the Council’s sustainability aims across Be First’s planning, development and construction teams. The successful candidate will be commercially minded and able to balance financial constraints with the ambitions for sustainable design. A key requirement is the ability to apply the ambitions across a large housing programme and third party developers.
The role will involve commissioning and implementing a zero carbon strategy, attending design team meetings for Be First projects, working with our contractor partners to deliver sustainability objectives, working with various Council departments on energy and technical specification, supporting the formation of planning policy and attending pre-application meetings.
The purpose of the role is to deliver on the Council ambition to be net zero carbon by 2030 and the green capital of the capital. The role will involve working closely with the Council’s Inclusive Growth Team, Be First’s planning, development and construction team as well as LBBD’s wholly owned energy company B&D energy.
Key responsibilities for the position include the following:
- Commission and manage the development of a zero carbon roadmap for all Be First new build developments
- Work with Be First planning to develop the borough’s sustainability policies in alignment with LBBD’s corporate sustainability objectives and strategy
- Work with design team colleagues to research and test the sustainability of new and emerging MMC techniques being used on the new build programme
- Collaborate with the Council on their carbon offset strategy
- Work with the Council’s inclusive growth team and B&D energy to develop the optimal energy strategies on Be First developments
- Review and contribute to Employer’s Requirements to embed technical sustainability requirements
- Research and develop a sustainable supply chain for Be First projects
- Work with Be First and Reside teams to monitor building performance and resident engagement
- Work with Be First design team colleagues to embed sustainable design principles in RIBA stage 0 and 1 strategies for a mix of projects ranging from large masterplans to small garage sites
- Develop zero carbon strategies for Be First led new build projects
- Support the brief development of Be First projects to ensure ambitious and deliverable sustainability drivers are baked into the project from the start
- Attend regular meetings with design, technical and contractor partners to communicate and implement Be First policies
- Review design and technical information to ensure compliance with Be First sustainability policies and building regulations
- Review be First and third party energy statements
- Attend pre-application meetings when needed to communicate Be First’s sustainability policies
We are looking for a Senior Sustainability Manager with five to ten years experience with a range of skills and attributes including:
- A passion for high quality and sustainable design
- Experience of working on complex projects in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver innovative sustainable development
- Demonstrable development experience across all RIBA stages with at least 5 years professional experience
- Experience of developing whole life zero carbon strategies that can be applied to a large housing programme
- A passion for material innovation and a technical understanding of sustainable materials and products is beneficial
- Experience of developing net zero carbon buildings
- Experience of working with building management companies and residents to monitor building performance
- An understanding of Passivhaus principles (Passivhaus certified designer is beneficial)
- An understanding of sustainable energy solutions including heat networks and experience or reviewing and commissioning energy assessments and statements
- A thorough understanding of Part L and sustainability guidance including the emerging London Plan
- Strong interest in planning policy and is able to demonstrate their passion for environmental conservation, through active strategies to combat climate change and promote sustainability
To apply for the position, please email a covering letter and CV to the email address below with the following email subject line: Senior Sustainability Manager firstname.lastname@example.org